Registration and Enrollment

Students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of 19 units without special permission during Fall, Winter and Spring Quarter. During Summer Sessions, students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of 18 units without special permission. To enroll in more than the allowed maximum units, students must obtain permission from your College Counseling unit (CAC, AAP, Honors, Athletics).

During First Pass, students are allowed to enroll in a maximum of 10 units total. You will be able to enroll in your remaining units once your Second Pass begins.

Some departments restrict enrollment into some of their classes, especially upper division courses (those numbered 100-199), during First Pass to the majors/minors in their department. These enrollment restrictions are usually lifted once Second Pass begins. If you still have difficulty, contact the department that is offering the class to assist you with enrollment. For example, contact the Chemistry department for Chem 153A.

TRANSFER STUDENTS may have difficulty enrolling in classes, especially upper division courses. When you attempt to enroll into upper division classes, the student records system, URSA, may not allow you to enroll and may tell you that you did not complete the pre-requisites for the course, even if you have completed all the necessary pre-requisites. The reason it does this is because URSA does not recognize courses completed outside UCLA.

FOR ENROLLMENT ASSISTANCE contact the department that is offering the course. It is recommended that you e-mail the appropriate department with your enrollment request once your enrollment pass time has started. In your e-mail, include your name and UCLA ID with the class you want to add with the 9-digit SRS number of the class section(s), listed in priority order.

Departments can only add you to your requested class once your enrollment pass begins and IF there is still space in the class. Moreover, the departments are not able to assist you with your request outside of normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.). In addition, you cannot be added to a class for which you have not completed the pre-requisites.


Life Sciences 7A, Life Sciences 7B, Life Sciences 7C, LS 23L
*LS Core Office (2305 Life Sciences Bldg., 310/825-6614,

Chem 30A (Pre-requisite: Chem 20B); Chem 30B (Chem 30A); Chem 30BL (Chem 30A, Chem 30AL); Chem 153A (Chem 30B); Chem 153L (Chem 30BL); and other upper division Chem
*Chemistry and Biochemistry (4006 Young Hall, 310/825-1859, – Denise Mantonya, Student Affairs Officer)

Any upper division EE BIOL (LS 7B; some may require additional courses)
*Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (101 Hershey Hall, 310/825-1680,  MESSAGE CENTER)

Any upper division MCD BIO (LS 7A, 7B, 7C, and 23L; some may require additional courses)
*Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology (128A Hershey Hall, 310/825-7109, – Connie Firestone, Undergraduate Counselor)

Any upper division MIMG (LS 7A, 7B, 7C,  and 23L; some may require additional courses)
*Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics (1602B Molecular Science Building, 310/825-8482, – Joy Ahn, Student Affairs Officer)

Any upper division Physci (LS 7C; some may require additional courses)
*Integrative Biology and Physiology (125A Hershey Hall, 310/825-3892, – Inna Gergel, Undergraduate Counselor)

In all enrollment-related correspondence, include your first and last name, your UID and the section(s) you are interested in, listed in priority order.

Upper Division (UD) = courses numbered 100-199

Enrollment into UD classes in some departments may be restricted to students in the departmental majors.

NOTE: During First Pass, some departments limit enrollment into their UD classes to majors/minors in the department.