Field Biology Quarter
Field Biology Quarter (FBQ) is a unique capstone experience that has a profound effect on our student’s lives. It enhances their future career success, and affects them on a deeply personal level.
During FBQ our students spend a full quarter conducting field research. Courses are taught both locally, in the deserts, mountains and coastal areas of California, and internationally, including the savannas of Africa, rainforests of Ecuador, and coral reefs of Australia. International courses are especially transformative for students, many of whom have never been immersed in a foreign culture, or exposed to the tremendous diversity of a tropical rainforest. The experiences these students carry away from these courses profoundly affect how they view the world, its people, and its fragile biota.
FBQ is unlike any other course the students have ever taken: it is an intense bout of learning that introduces students to the excitement of field-based research. Our professors strive to create an atmosphere in which students can learn to collaborate, help each other negotiate the challenges of research, and share in each other’s successes.
- Consists of 16 upper division units of coursework
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or above recommended
- FBQ is a requirement for Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution B.S.
- Biology B.S. (admitted prior to Fall 2020): provides equivalency for 1 Category Three Laboratory course, 2 Category Four electives, and 1 Category Five elective.
- Marine Biology B.S. provides equivalency for the Marine Biology Quarter.
- Preference is given to Marine Biology Majors, EBE Majors and to other students in the Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Department.
- Students in other departments are welcome to apply
Prerequisites for FBQ usually consist of Life Sciences 7B, EE Biol 100, and Stats 13 (or its equivalent).
Applications are available a year in advance through the EEB Undergraduate CCLE Listserv and the department web site, www.eeb.ucla.edu.
The typical cost of the FBQ includes normal UCLA tuition plus room and board at the same rate as UCLA dorms with a meal plan. Please contact the Financial Aid Office, to find out if your aid can cover these costs. Scholarship information is available at the Scholarship Resource Center.