Students who major in our department must complete the courses in the Life Science Core Curriculum with a letter grade of C- or better and must be completed with an overall GPA of 2.00 (C) or better. If you receive a grade below a C- in two (2) Life Science Core Curriculum courses, either in separate courses or in repetitions of the same course, you are subject to dismissal from the departmental majors. Effective for only Fall 2018 admits to UCLA and forward, students within all three majors within the EEB Department will have their grades for the Life Science Core Curriculum courses monitored at the end of each quarter.
All courses to be applied on the major must be taken for a letter grade. This includes all courses in the Life Science Core Curriculum and all Upper Division major courses (numbered 100-199).
The College requires a total of 60 upper division units for graduation. Thus, you may be required to take additional UD courses (either within or outside of the major) to meet this requirement.
LIFE SCIENCE CORE CURRICULUM
LOWER DIVISION MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (effective Fall Quarter, 2019)
Life Sciences (Biology, Cell/Molecular Biology)
Life Sciences 7A, 7B, 7C, 23L
Chemistry (General and Organic)
Chem 14 A, 14B, 14BL, 14C, 14CL*, 14D,
– OR –
Chem 20A, 20B, 20L, 30A, 30AL, 30B, 30BL*
*(Chem 14CL and Chem 30BL are not required of MIMG majors, but required to meet medical school eligibility requirements to apply.)
*The Ecology, Behavior, and Evolution (EBE) major no longer requires the completion of Chemistry & Biochemistry 14CL/30BL. However, EBE majors who are considering professional school may still be required to take the second chemistry lab.
Mathematics (Calculus and Statistics)
Life Sciences 30A, 30B, and LS40/Stats 13
– OR –
Math 3A, 3B, 3C and LS40/Stats 13
– OR –
Math 31A, 31B, 32A and LS40/Stats 13
Physics 5A*, 5B*, 5C*
– OR –
Physics 1A, 1B, 1C, 4AL, 4BL
(For Marine Biology majors only) Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences 1 OR Earth, Planetary, & Space Sciences 15
MAJOR AND DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- All courses to be applied to the major (both Lower Division and Upper Division) must be taken for a Letter Grade.
- Lower Division Major courses must be passed with a minimum grade of “C-” or better and must be completed with an overall grade point average (GPA) or 2.00 (“C”). Students’ major status will be reviewed if a grade of “D” or “F” is received in two (2) Lower Division Major courses, either in separate courses or in repetitions of the same course.
- Upper Division (UD) Major courses must be passed with a minimum grade of “D-” or better and must be completed with an overall global GPA (UD Major courses) of 2.00 or better (“C”).
- Courses applied to the UD Major requirements may be applied to ONE major category only. If a course is listed in multiple categories, the course will only apply to one category.
- A maximum of four (4) units of graduate work (courses numbered 200 and above) may be applied to the major, but only if pre-approved by the department.
- A maximum of four (4) units of EE BIOL 199 OR eight (8) units EE BIOL 198A and 198B may be applied to the major. Credit for 199 courses from other departments may not be applied.
- Courses applied to the UD Major requirements must have a minimum of four (4) units. Courses with fewer than four units may be combined to equal one (1) course equivalent, if they are applicable to the major (e.g., EE BIOL 175, EE BIOL 180A, EE BIOL 188). Thus, two (2) courses worth two 2 units each (for a total of 4 units) could equal one course requirement for the major. A maximum of one (1) course on the major is allowed in cases where two 2-unit courses are combined to equal one (1) course equivalent. However, one 6-unit course counts as only one course and not a course and one-half.