Contract courses include courses numbered 198ABCD, 199, etc. In these courses, students may conduct independent research under the supervision of a faculty mentor. Contracts must be created in EVERY QUARTER (including Summer Sessions) that a student decides to enroll in a directed study/independent study courses. (See also RESEARCH INFORMATION AND OPPORTUNITIES.)
Contracts with faculty from the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology must be submitted to the EE BIOL Undergraduate Office no later than WEDNESDAY OF WEEK TWO. Students must also attach confirmation that they completed the LABORATORY SAFETY FUNDAMENTALS WORKSHOP (a copy of the e-mail received is sufficient). Contracts that do not have a copy of the Lab Safety Confirmation attached will not be accepted. For information on how to enroll in a workshop, please visit: https://www.ehs.ucla.edu/training/schedule. Search for "Laboratory Safety Fundamental Concepts" under the Laboratory Safety heading.
Students must have the consent of his/her faculty mentor prior to creating the contract.
To create a contract:
- Login to my.ucla.edu
- Click on "Contract Courses", which is located on the left column under "MyUCLA Features"
- Click on "Submit a new contract" under "My Contract Courses"
- Select year and term
- Select the course you wish to enroll in, e.g., Directed Research (199) or Honors Research (198)
- Select the "Subject Area," which is the department that your faculty mentor is affiliated with
- Choose your faculty mentor and the number of units that you wish to enroll
- In "My Research Plan," write a brief description of your project
- Complete any other areas as requested and print out the contract
To be enrolled in your contract course:
- Obtain your faculty mentor’s signature
- Bring the signed contract to the department that your faculty mentor is affiliated, e.g., Dan Blumstein, EE BIOL - bring signed contract to EE BIOL advising office
- The advising office will obtain the signature of the authorized departmental representative and process the enrollment
NOTE: Students who enroll in contract courses with faculty from the School of Medicine or from the School of Dentistry must submit their contracts to the Office of the Registrar for enrollment after all necessary signatures have been obtained.
Departments have different deadlines for submission of contracts. Check with each department for these deadlines.