Earn a MS in Biology studying the Ecology and Evolution of Medicine at UCLA!
Future breakthroughs in human health issues such as cancer, heart disease, infectious and zoonotic diseases, the human microbiome, and psychiatric illness will be advanced by a fundamental understanding and application of ecological and evolutionary principles. At UCLA, we have a vibrant Program in Evolutionary Medicine that spans multiple departments throughout our campus. Collaborations between faculty members at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and College of Letters and Sciences will be at the heart of the Master's program. The College contains a variety of top-ranked departments in the biomedical sciences as well as social sciences and there are a remarkable number of evolutionary biologists and ecologists who study health and disease scattered across campus.
You will study advanced topics in ecology and evolutionary biology in the context of current medical practice. The program will include both coursework and experiences within the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, including participating in rounds, lectures and other medical experiences. You will learn how and why ecological and evolutionary principles can be translated into biomedical successes. Graduates will be prepared for future medical and veterinary careers as well as academic graduate programs in the biomedical sciences. This is a two-year program with a terminal comprehensive exam.
Your curriculum will include courses in Evolutionary Medicine and Applied Evolutionary Medicine, graduate courses in evolution, ecology and behavior, along with regular seminars in evolutionary medicine. You will attend Grand Rounds lectures throughout the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. For more information about admissions qualifications and program curriculum, please contact the EEB Graduate Advisor at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 310-825-1959.
Application deadline has been extended to May 1st, 2017. Please follow these steps to apply:
- First complete the online general UCLA Online Graduate School Application. You will be asked to create an account, and we recommend writing down your password. The EEB major code is 123. Select the MS in Biology degree.
- Next, complete the online EEB supplemental application. The information needed for
this portion is listed below (a-f). We recommend you compose the text using a word
processing program and then paste it into the on-line application. Note that any
special formatting (italics, etc.) will be lost.
- Pertinent work experience
- Publications or other scientific products
- Statement of purpose: Please state your purpose in applying for graduate study, your particular interest in pursuing an MS in Biology with a focus in ecology and evolutionary medicine, how the program fits with your career goals, and any additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and your aptitude for graduate study at UCLA.
- Personal History Statement: Describe how your background, accomplishments, and life experiences led to your decision to pursue a graduate degree in the department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. Include any educational, personal, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges or opportunities relevant to your academic journey. In addition, please describe any aspects of your personal background, accomplishments, or achievements that will allow the department to evaluate your contributions to the University's diversity mission. Contributions to diversity and equal opportunity can take a variety of forms, such as efforts to advance equitable access to education, public service that addresses the need of a diverse population, or research that explores inequalities.
- Curriculum vitae for uploading as a PDF or MS Word document
- Awards and other distinctions (optional)
- Have GRE or MCAT scores and ONE official copy of your academic transcripts sent to:
Graduate Student Affairs Officer
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
610 Charles E. Young Drive East
University of California Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7246
For your GRE scores:
The institution code for UCLA is 4837
The Ecology and Evolutionary Biology department code is 0203
For help with the application process or other information about the graduate program, please contact Tessa Villaseñor (email: email@example.com; phone: 310 825-1959)
Please also review UCLA's Minimum Standards for Admissions as well to determine your eligibility:https://grad.ucla.edu/admissions/research-requirements/#Criteria
*Note that the degree for this program on the transcript upon completion will be reflected as Master's of Science in Biology.